Wednesday, January 20, 2010

BLOCK 2: JANUARY 11TH - 20TH

I feel like a cursed sophomore album... first time around goes swell, then the second effort is pure crap.

I've decided to evaluate my progress in 10 day increments-- this makes it more like a tri-monthly update, which is less laborious and keeps things straight in my head.

So, BLOCK 2.

This was a tough ten days, full of highs and lows. It seems like I either ended up doing a LOT of exercise, or none at all. I ended up with a BAD average this block-- only 5 - 5. Not exactly bad, actually... but certainly not on par with my goals. I am not deterred, however... I still have plenty of time to get my average back up where it should be.

This ten days I noticed a lot more of "life" getting in the way... being tired, having plans, going out of town. But I did learn that even with these obstacles, it is possible to fit exercise into my routine, although it's not easy. And it is during these busy times that I really need to set a time to exercise, and stick with it. I also realized that I'm much more successful when I exercise in the morning... then for the rest of the day I enjoy a sense of accomplishment. Just completing that 30 minutes or so of exercise makes me feel better. I feel like I enjoy the day more, knowing that I can change plans and be flexible since I've already made time to exercise.

Ben & I did go on a gorgeous, spontaneous hike up Larch Mountain (only about a half hour away from us here in Gresham). The road was closed (I think they close it for the winter, regardless of whether there's snow or not), but we parked and started walking up the road just to "check it out" (quoting Ben). We had our CamelBacks in the car, ready to go, but we didn't bring them with us since we figured we wouldn't be able to find the trailhead (not the best idea). Long story short, we ended up hoofing it all the way up to the top of Larch Mountain, and even though we were hungry, cold, and tired, the view was worth it! Eight-and-a-half miles later we made it back to the car, vowing to do the "real" hike again (one way from Multnomah falls, with water and food!)

Also, we had a wonderful weekend at Newport beach with friends. It is HARD to tear yourself away from all the social activities going on and make yourself exercise, but I did manage to squeeze in a 30 minute walk/jog on the windy, windy beach. It was gorgeous, but I did not feel very good. I kept getting side aches, and could really feel all the heavy food I'd been eating those couple of days. Blecchh! I did realize, though, that friends are supportive and understand when you need to check out for awhile to exercise.

Well, let's go Block 3. I'm ready to try for a better average. In other good news... I really feel like I'm getting stronger! I notice this especially while doing Pilates... moves that were really challenging a few weeks ago now feel quite a bit easier. Hooray for noticeable progress!

1.11.10 *REST*
1.12.10 *REST*
1.13.10 2.75 miles on the treadmill. Walk, jog, run!
1.14.10 8.5 mile hike up Larch Mountain w/ Ben. Yikes!
1.15.10 *REST*
1.16.10 30 minute walk/jog on the beach. Very windy. Crampy. Too much junk food @ the beach.
1.17.10 *REST*
1.18.10 30 minutes of Pilates
1.19.10 *REST*
1.20.10 30 minutes of aerobics