Thursday, March 4, 2010

BLOCK 6: FEBRUARY 21ST-28TH

I really fell off near the end of February... but again, not the end of the world. Still making progress towards my goals, and March is already going better.

I think it's time I mentioned that I am doing all of this WITHOUT a gym membership. This isn't really by choice... I'm not a gym-hater, I just don't have the extra cash to go towards a membership right now. I actually like to go to the gym, and have had memberships at several different gyms over the years. I like having all the equipment, the classes, the drive to keep jogging on the treadmill because you don't want to look like a schmuck for stopping after five minutes (thanks for the inspiration from your facebook note, Ben. L. ;) So true, so true.)

So how am I getting exercise? I have a few different options right now:

*MINI-GYM: Our apartment complex, like many complexes, has a "gym". I use the word really, really loosely in this case, because the equipment at our particular complex is beyond old.... I'm talking a "treadmill" that doesn't work most of the time and looks like something Richard Simmons might have used in the 80s. Creaky, worn belt, and some sort of wind-up knob to adjust the incline. That being said, there is an equally ancient stairstepper, a fairly new, if squeaky, elliptical machine, and some sort of all-in-one weight machine. This motley collection of equipment seems out of place to me-- our apartment is nice, and even the gym rooms are nice-- there's even a sauna. I'm guessing they just haven't wanted to spend the money on new equipment that most people won't use. So, in summary, the only equipment I usually use is the elliptical machine and occasionally the stairstepper. I also just use the empty space and bring my own hand weights.

*EXERCISE VIDEOS!: Okay, now this is my not-so-secret secret. A few months ago I discovered there are free workout videos in the OnDemand section of our cable TV. I was really skeptical at first. I mean, workout videos? Cheesy, and probably not a great workout. But, I gave them a shot, and this is the way I usually workout these days (much to my own surprise). I really see a lot of benefits to these workouts at home. I'm a natural multi-tasker. If I'm spending time at home I might as well, for example, have laundry going and be working out at the same time. Also, as my boyfriend will undoubtedly agree, I take a long time to get ready to go anywhere. It's how I am-- it takes me awhile to get out the door. So, it ends up saving me a lot of time (and gas!) to work out at home.

All that being said, there are some really good and some downright terrible exercise videos. I've narrowed down my favorites to Jillian Michaels and "The Biggest Loser" workouts. Love/hate the show-- doesn't matter. These workouts are quick (usually about 30 minutes) and I have really seen an increase in my strength and fitness over the last couple of months using mainly these routines. By FAR the toughest workouts I've done are those concocted by evil-fitness-mastermind Jillian Michaels. She is brutal, but her workouts really do toughen you up. I particularly like "No more trouble zones". Just today I did a new workout of hers called "Yoga Meltdown". To me, "yoga" implies something sort of soft and relaxing... it's the second part of the name that is a more accurate description. I had a tough time making it through this workout (ouch!), but I'm excited to have something new to try. Variety is the key to keeping me interested and challenged.

*HIKING: Ben, my boyfriend, hates gyms, has bad knees, and loves being outside. All of these things make hiking a great activity for both of us to do together (I don't like jogging around outside, especially in rainy Oregon, and Ben's knees can't take it anyway). We live really close to the Columbia Gorge, and there is a myriad of excellent hiking trails right in our own backyard. I love the feeling of completing a 2-4 hour hike (nice calorie burn!), spending time with Ben, and seeing some amazing scenery. Win-win-win!

Here's my summary for end of February. 2 months down!

2.21.10 2.5 mile hike w/ Ben.
2.22.10 40 minute walk w/ Ben.
2.23.10 30 minute aerobics.
2.24.10 *REST*
2.25.10 *NADA*
2.26.10 *Lots of work*
2.27.10 *Still nothing*
2.28.10 *REST* Back on track 3/1!